2:01 PM Back to the essential: reading, education…new inspiration. Last month, I was sharing the latest book of the OC book club: Rupi Kaur’s “Milk and Honey”. Finally some poetry for you!

For each book club, I try to find the best book and I always try to discover great topics with and for you. From cooking to sport to history – we go all the way together, because each and every book is essential for us human beings, believe me! Sometimes people don’t know why others read xy – it’s because they feel they can learn from it. They feel inspired. And this is what I try to share with my book club here: inspiration for you no matter what subject. Every tiny thing out there (may we know about it or not) can inspire us. Maybe we fall in love with something new…maybe we get to know things we forgot but once cared about. This is how I feel about poetry.

I already told you my love story with poetry. No matter if it’s musical poetry – smooth rhymes on even smoother and calming beats, or simple words. Ignoring grammar and all the rules, just swallow all the words down – step by step – going with the flow. I love poetry.
That’s why I also love to write. I write my own poetry – more weird or absurd thoughts about this and that and of course I love writing on Off Color. Poetry and words always intrigued me so that’s why I had to choose a book for this club session which can inspire people who don’t know much about poetry. Here we are.

I was super excited to read the book, since it enjoys a huge popularity on social media but also my friends. Everyone around me heard about the book or even read it – how great is that! Before reading it, or even holding it in my hands, I was beyond excited to explore each page. I am a design lover and I fell in love with the simple black and white design with the cute illustrations beneath.

The book itself is divided into four chapters: the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing. My favorite chapter is by far the last one, the healing, where I marked almost every poem with exclamation marks and underlining.
Rupi is very pure and honest and that’s what I love about the book.


I often thought that some of her poems are way too short or I wished for another beautiful passage, but it’s her art to sometimes just share a feeling with one sentence.


Her language is simple and everyone gets it. She always finds the right words which create the perfect harmony during reading it. I guess that’s why one really understands and feels her pain. Some poems make you sad. They make you think. I often caught myself saying “ooohh, I know what she means!” or “fuckkkk, I FEEL YOU!!!” (sorry, but that's how I felt).


It was a pure connection.

The things Rupi talks about – may it be relationships, breakups, self-love, or womanhood, is something that we all experience. Especially us women – we go through so much and we share a lot in common. I love reading about things which make me worry, too, or things which frighten me – I feel understood with “Milk and Honey”.
Many poems opened my eyes and gave me a little energy boost which I definitely needed.

Inspiration is everywhere. We need to take it and make something out of it.

After 204 pages, I closed the book and I was happy. Rupi’s illustrations made me beyond happy, but I’m even happier to know that so many people will read this book and they will feel exactly how I feel. “Milk and Honey” is a book for everyone. Especially for us sisters.

It brings us together and it makes us realize how sweet life can be. There is pain, there is loss, people suffer – but we can make the best out of it. Experiences shape us and they make us who we are – we got stories to tell and stories to share.

I wish there would be more poetry like this. A simple speech about life, celebrating all aspects and the special things we forget on our daily lives.


Wow.
I just had to browse through the book again.
A lot of good energy.


What do you think about the book? Did you read it? Did you like it?


                * My favorite poem was:                  
if you were born with
the weakness to fall
you were born with
the strength to rise
(p. 156)

*there are so many more

I can’t wait to hear from you and your favorite poem! ~


In case you haven't read the book, get yourself a copy right here.
Powered by Blogger.