6:40 AM It is Valentine's Day, yey. Hate it or love it...this day exists and everyone out there can make the best out of it. I mean, if you want to skip this day - feel free to do so, if not, be creative and don't be sad or frustrated.

As a little girl, I always dreamed of being in a relationship with a guy who buys me ice cream or cake for Valentine's Day. I don't need any flowers or red roses, since they are tatted on my body already. Candy makes me happy, so you better invest in the best things, haha.

So far, I didn't spend many Valentine's Days in a relationship, so my dreams were never satisfied - I didn't care. While in high School, my friends gave me the feeling to be sad this day, I realized later that this day is the perfect day to show myself how to love - oneself. (See last year's post where I'm talking about a Vday spa day...relax, get comfortable, and treat your body - this is what we need).

Now that I'm in a relationship, I didn't get any smarter about that day plus I realize that there are no magic pink clouds and hearts flying around me everywhere. I spend my Vdays alone, since my beautiful lover boy doesn't live here. Sooo what now?

There won't be any studies about this day anymore. It's true, the media creates a weird vibe about this day and whether I'm single or not - I realize that I don't need roses or hearing "I love you" more than 200 times during the day. Don't get me wrong, I am not really anti-romantic, I rather create certain romantic days like this throughout the year.

I don't expect my partner to be crazy cheesy, too - I rather practice being a good lover and companion by taking this day as a chance to get to know me better.

What are my plans for today? Well, I prepared something special for my lover boy and that's it. While he enjoys his surprise, I will spend the day listening to some great tunes at work (listen to my Valentine's Day mix or check last year's playlist I shared) and I will let the day just happen. As soon as work is over, I will relax with a lot of ice cream and my selfmade pomegranate syrup. LADIES: THIS IS THE SHIT!

I loooove pomegranate so much and when I saw it being super cheap at the supermarket, I got myself some juicy fruits which made me start having a creative brainstorming right away. What can I do? I like enjoying the seeds just like this, but I felt that I needed something special. I was craving ice cream and I wanted a special highlight: you definitely need this syrup in your life!!

Pomegranate and Valentine's Day? Yes, let's educate ourselves (the Historian in me is talking again...). Did you read Romeo and Juliet? Shakespeare used the symbolism of a pomegranate tree to show true and forbidden love between the two lovers. Or what about the Hebrew bible? Here, the fruit is used many times and it stands for beauty or passionate love between man and wife. Awww, that's cheesy, I know.

Being Born in Iran and enjoyed by the pharaohs, the seductive red fruit is seen as a very exotic and irresistible aphrodisiac. You know what that means: we need more pomegranate in our lives - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

POMEGRANATE SYRUP

YOU NEED  3-4 pomegranates (should make ca. 2 cups of pomegranate juice) + 1/2 cup of sugar

1. Take your pomegranates and cut them into halves. Conquer all of the juicy seeds by hitting the fruit with a spoon (or any method you like).
2. Blend all the seeds you got in a blender and make sure to remove skin or other parts which can't be blended smoothly.
3. With a saucepan, boil the juice over medium heat and stir in the sugar. 
4. Let the mixture simmer and give it a stir here and then. After 20 minutes, the juice will turn into a thick and glossy syrup! If you want it thicker: turn up the heat, but don't burn it!
5. Fill the syrup in a bottle and put it in your fridge to use it the next 2-3 weeks, or use it right away! Enjoy ~

This is what I will have: chocolate ice cream with extra chocolate chunks and plenty of syrup. Why? Because I treat myself: happy ice cream, happy me. Pretty easy.


Happy Valentine's Day to all of you lovebirds ~ Celebrate or rebel - it's your choice! Just keep on smiling ~
Powered by Blogger.